Welcome back to Wooly Plays! I am super excited to announce that Patch 1.12 is up on Overwatch‘s PTR servers, and with it comes a new Assault map!
Let’s dig in!
PTR Patch 1.12
New Assault Map: Horizon Lunar Colony
Holy crap!!! I am super excited to have a new assault map; similarly to Ecopoint: Antarctica, the assault maps have started to feel a little stale. Bringing in a fresh map will bring new life to the game, especially since there is so much backstory in this particular map.
For those of you who don’t know, the Horizon Lunar Colony was where Winston grew up, and where he got his name! Check out the release trailer and developer videos here!
New Legendary Skins
- Oni Genji and Officer D.Va skins will be added to classic loot boxes
Custom Games and Game Browser
- Player gravity and projectile gravity can now be modified
- Knockback magnitude can now be modified on any weapons or abilities that have a knockback effect
- Jump height can now be modified
- Targets now begin locking on after 0.2 seconds, instead of 0.8 seconds
- Damage accumulated over the first 1.0 seconds increased from 20 to 80 (damage per second after the first 1.0 seconds is unchanged)
Developer Comment: “McCree’s ultimate can deal a lot of damage if it has a lot of time to build up, but it was often too difficult to get even a small amount of damage out before being stopped or killed. These changes make it more flexible and powerful.”
Wooly’s Opinion: I don’t play a lot of McCree so I can’t personally say how great of a buff this will be to him; however, I think that it sounds fairly powerful, and hopefully it will put McCree in a better spot.
- The Reaping (Passive)
- Removed health orbs
- Now regains 20% of all damage done to heroes as health
Developer Comment: “Reaper’s old healing passive was useful if you could kill a bunch of enemies in a row. But since enemies needed to be dead for it to work, it wasn’t very helpful unless the situation was already in your favor. His new passive lets him get immediate benefit from it, especially when fighting Tank heroes, which tend to be larger targets that deal lower damage.”
Wooly’s Opinion: I think that this will be a good change for Reaper. The only thing I worry about is his ultimate. He can do quite a bit of damage during that; how will he be able to get killed if he’s constantly regaining 20% of the damage he deals as health?
- Head hitbox size reduced by 20%
- Scrap Gun
- Bullet damage decreased by 33%
- Fire rate increased by 30%
- Clip size increased from 4 to 5
Developer Comment: “Roadhog’s head was abnormally large compared to similarly-sized characters, so we’re reducing its size to increase his survivability. The Scrap Gun changes reduce the power of his hook combo and alternate fire burst damage potential while still keeping his DPS roughly the same.”
Wooly’s Opinion: While I do think that a decrease of Roadhog’s damage is a good thing, I’m not sure how much 33% will take the damage down. Will it make his one-shots impossible? I do like the clip size change, though, and think that it will feel really nice for Roadhog players.
USER INTERFACE UPDATES
- A quick summary of each player’s most-played heroes is now available by highlighting the player in the Groups section of the Social menu (statistics displayed will dynamically change based on the mode/ruleset)
- A new “All Modes” option has been added to the Career Profile that allows players to view combined stats from all game modes
- A new “All Competitive Seasons” option has been added to the Career Profile that allows players to view combined stats from all Completive Play seasons
- The “Damage Done” statistic has been replaced with “Hero Damage Done” in multiple locations
- A new “Barrier Damage Done” statistic has been added to the Statistics section of the Career Profile, as well as an “All Damage Done” statistic, which combines damage done to barriers and heroes
- Averages are now calculated in 10-minute slices, rather than by the number of games played
- “Rate This Match” option no longer appears at the end of a match
Developer Comment: “The new ‘Hero Damage Done’ statistic is the same as the old ‘Damage Done’ statistic, but it doesn’t include damage done to barriers, only damage against heroes and placed objects (e.g. Torbjörn’s turret). That number can be found in the new ‘Barrier Damage Done’ or ‘All Damage Done’ statistics. However, since ‘Hero Damage Done’ and ‘Barrier Damage Done’ are brand new, their averages will only be based on time played since they were added.
Also, the old statistics were calculated by taking total damage inflicted and dividing it by the number of games played. This resulted in an average that didn’t accurately reflect the underlying performance, because it didn’t take into account the length of the games. The new averages are calculated in 10-minute slices.”
That’s it for Patch 1.12!
I am super excited to try out the new map! Let me know in the comments below if you do, and what your experience was or what you like or don’t like about it!