Welcome back to Wooly Plays! I wasn’t planning on doing another patch post so soon, but when the Overwatch devs release something, I’ve gotta know about it!
Here’s the scoop for the PTR Patch 1.13, released today!
Loot Box Updates
Developer Comment: We always want the experience of opening an in-game loot box to feel exciting and rewarding, and in our latest patch we’re working to improve that experience in two key ways. First, we’re drastically reducing the amount of duplicates players will receive when opening loot boxes. Second, to compensate for this reduction of duplicate items, we’re also increasing the overall amount of credits players will receive from loot boxes. On average, players should be earning just as many credits, if not slightly more, from loot boxes than they did prior to these changes.
Wooly’s Opinion: I’m intrigued by this change, but excited nonetheless! I’m level 1460-something now, so I have a lot of the items in-game already; however, I’ve noticed that, during events, I will often get the same thing (*cough* Symmetra’s victory pose from Uprising *cough*) multiple times. Hopefully this change will help out with the well-known loot box frustration that so many players feel!
I will say that I just opened the five free loot boxes they give players on the PTR (no, the items will not transfer to the live game), and I got zero duplicates! ZERO! The last time I didn’t have any duplicates in a box was probably about six months ago? Maybe even longer! I did receive coins in three or four of the five boxes, but I’m not at all unhappy about that. More coins just means more event stuff!
New Highlight Options
- The game will continue to automatically generate highlights for you based on your recent gameplay. These auto-generated highlights—now categorized as “Today’s Top 5″—will be surfaced on a daily basis and persist for a full 24 hours (or until the game client is patched, whichever happens first).
- Players can now generate their own highlights! The ability to capture 12 seconds of your own gameplay has been added to the game, and can be bound to a single button of your choice (or a button per highlight slot) in the Options menu under “Request Highlight.” These player-generated highlights will be saved under a new section called “Recently Captured” and will persist until the game client is patched. Players can have up to 36 recently-captured highlights stored at one time.
- With the above, players can now record any of their “Top 5” or “Recently Captured” highlights, exporting them as a video file to their gaming platform’s designated media library (on console) or directory (on PC). On PC, players will also have the option to select the quality at which these highlights are exported, supporting up to 4K at 60 FPS for Windows 8 or higher operating systems, and up to 1080p on Windows 7.
Wooly’s Opinion: This is AWESOME! I am so stoked for this. There are times where I’m not playing Mercy (shocking, I know) but something really cool will happen and I’m not recording! Now the game itself will give us the option to basically bookmark and record 12 seconds of play. That is so, so cool and I’m so happy that they’ve added this feature. It’s been wanted since the game’s release!
Custom Games and Game Browser
- Clarified the text on the “Flag Carrier” options under the Capture the Flag settings for Custom Games
- Removed the “Projectile Speed” and “Projectile Gravity” options for heroes who do not have projectile weapons
I feel like the second fix should have been obvious, but hey, what do I know? 😉
- Added ability to create customized reticles
- Reticle options can be found under the “Controls” tab in the “Options” menu (click the “Advanced” expander under the “Reticle” heading)
This change is really interesting! I am very excited to see what the pros start doing with their crosshairs to make the game more comfortable for them. Personally I use the short crosshairs on almost every character.
I know I don’t normally do bug fixes, but check this out!
- Fixed a bug that allowed Sombra to take damage after activating her Translocator.
This is awesome for Sombra players! I actually killed a Sombra right as she was teleporting the other day. She should have been able to escape, but due to this bug she ended up dying. I’m happy that this change will go through; it’s been necessary for a while.
That’s all, everyone!
Thank you so so much for reading! Let me know what you think about the loot box and highlight changes which will hopefully be coming soon!
If you’d like to watch the video in which Jeff Kaplan explains these changes, you can find it below!